Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Frosted Pecans & Cow-Patties

Lastly tonight, something for your sweet tooth...


Livi's Grandma King made these a couple of Christmases ago.  I'm not much of a nut eater, but I couldn't get enough of these.  It's not hard to make, but because it uses pecans it's not necessarily cheap to make.  However, as a once-in-a-while special treat...it's awesome!


Frosted Pecans


1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup sour cream
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1# pecans (chopped or bite-size pieces)


Mix sugar & sour cream & bring to a boil. Boil for 5 min. stirring constantly.
Remove from heat & add vanilla & pecans.  Stirring until pecans are well coated.


Spread mixture out onto wax paper to cool.  Separate after cooled. 




Cow-patties (aka No-Bake Cookies)

I grew up calling these cookies "No-Bakes" but Toby's family always calls them "Cow Patties".  Let me preface this recipe with a few things:

#1) I think most people already know how to make these.  However, since this blog is for Livi, I'm adding them to it because they are a family favorite.

#2) I can count on one hand the times that I've made these blame cookies & them set up right, but my family is use to this & still requests them...even if they have to be eaten with a spoon :)

Lastly, my father-in-law requested these cookies for Christmas this past year.  Now being a diabetic he didn't need me to make a double batch for him. However, I have come to realize something about my dear FIL:  He is not necessarily overly-impressed with my cooking or of the mindset that I am a fabulous cook, BUT he has learned that I AM the pushover in the family & have the hardest time telling him "no".  

So, when I said, "You know I can't ever get those cookies to set-up.  You'll be eating them with a spoon!"  And he replied, "I'd eat 'em through a straw if you'd just make me some. *insert sweet smile here*"...yeah, I made 'em for him.  See what I mean?  PUSHOVER :) Still, these will probably always be "his" cookies from here on out...

The recipe I use is actually from Livi's Grandma Snell (my mom).  For whatever reason the one I use to use had the ingredients added in the wrong order & NEVER set up.  This recipe does work if you boil it just right & the weather cooperates & the cookie gods are on your side that day - LOL! 

So, without further ado...the recipe: 

1 stick of butter (no substitutes)
1/2 cup milk
2 cups sugar
2 TBSP peanut butter

Heat in a saucepan.  Mix well & boil for 1 min. Remove from heat & add 1 tsp. of vanilla.

In a separate dish, combine 3 cups of quick oats & 2 TBSP of cocoa. Stir into heated mixture & drop by spoonfuls onto wax paper.  

** Pray they set up like they're suppose to :) **



No comments:

Post a Comment