Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Nacho Chicken

Tonight's blog will be brought you in the style of Ms. Cris and let me tell you,  I now have a new appreciation for her blogs about recipes.  It's not that easy to cook & take pictures at the same time! :) 


I found this recipe several years ago in a magazine called Quick Cooking.  (The magazine is technically still around, but it's called something different now & not near as good as the original.)  In our house no one mentions Nacho Chicken without someone saying, "It's not your chicken" (say it real fast with a slight Spanish accent & you'll get it ;) It's became a running joke & when any of us mentions Nacho Chicken we automatically wait to see who says it 1st - LOL!  


This recipe is super simple to make and can be adjusted to suit your family's "spicy/hot" meter by simply adding the mild, original or hot tomatoes & green chiles.  Personally, I left out the onion because with the green chiles it is just too strong for us.  But I've had it with the onion & it's good that way too (if your broods' bellies can handle it). 


The ingredients are fairly simple:

(I would like to say that I normally use the Kroger brand of cream of chicken soup, but they were out of stock.  Since that is also Kroger "velveeta", this is an almost entirely "Ruler/Kroger" meal making it VERY affordable.  If Kroger feels compelled to give me free groceries for my numerous shout-outs & continued loyalty to them...well, call me Mr. Kroger rep :) 

In a large bowl combine: 

4 cups of cooked cubed chicken 


(I used 4 cans of cooked chicken - 1 is hiding in the above pic - but if you are one to freeze ahead like the Freezer Queen, Ms. Cris :), you could definitely use some you already had cooked up or just cook some up that you buy at the store.  Me:  I'm all about easy & I didn't have any frozen to use :) 

1 pound of processed American cheese, cubed


2 cans of condensed cream of chicken soup (10 3/4 oz. ea.), undiluted
1 can (10 oz.) tomatoes & green chiles, UNdrained
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp of pepper


1 bag (12-15 oz.) nacho cheese tortilla chips, crushed
(Reserve 1 cup of crushed chips)


Mix everything together & place in a 13 x 9 x 2 baking dish.
Sprinkle with reserved chips.


Cook uncovered at 350 for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted & edges are bubbly. 


And, there you have it!  Nacho Chicken...
I serve it with some kind of vegetable (whatever I have on hand) & we always get at least 2-3 meals out of the dish. 


2 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks really good:) Oh and Kroger... if you are listenin' ditto :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so great! Especially with the doritos on top!

    ReplyDelete