Sunday, December 30, 2012

Grandma Ann's Shepard's Pie

When Toby & I first got married, I was always looking for budget friendly yet delicious meals. Funny, almost 15 years later, I'm still looking for the same thing :) Anyway, my Grandma Ann raised 7 kids (5 of which were boys) so I knew if there was anyone who could tell me how to cook on a budget it was her. This is one of the 1st recipes she gave me. I haven't made it in ages, but I came across it the other day & I think it is definitely worth sharing.

Grandma Ann's Shepard Pie

3-4 lbs. ground round (I think if I was to make this today, I'd try to cut this back to 1.5-2 lbs.)
onions
6 cans of vegetarian vegetable soup (drain 3 of the cans)

mashed potatoes

Layer in a 9 x 13 baking dish in order of:
beef
veg. soup (3 cans)
beef
veg. soup (3 cans)
put mashed potatoes on top

Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.

**I think in this original recipe the beef was uncooked as it went into the dish. If I was to make this today, I think I'd precook the meat & cut down on the baking time. I've also seen this made & topped with cheese which I would definitely give a try. I love cheese :) **

No comments:

Post a Comment